We went for a lovely cup of hot chocolate / Earl Grey Tea Latte (for Aunty!) - it was amazing how well she knows Starbucks -- very eye opening! LOL! She orders things like a pro - I was honestly impressed!
Then I showed her the project I had first planned for the day - decorate some small purses - well, that apparently is not her cup-of-tea. So, onto the next idea - a blanket for her new dog. That went over pretty well. Though, she's scared of:
- anything hot - so iron! (or stove!)
- anything sharp - so, scissors, cutting ruler - sewing machine
- of not cutting something in a straight line - or sewing a straight line for that matter
- Basically - anything else having to do with sewing something
Needless to say, I did not cave and let her hide behind those fears. So, onto sewing in a straight line - which she did amazingly! And, she even managed to bump up the speed on the sewing machine. I was impressed. The cutting something in a straight line was odd though - I'm going to have her cut stuff up for me next week. She even managed to sew - pull out the pin - and sew more.
So, we ended up with a wee dog bed for the pup. She sewed the 2 smaller triangle ones, and the white border around it all. I had one made up left-over square for the center. It turned out really well. I'm going to try and get her to make something new next week.
Something else I learned ... (and I had this discussion with another "aunty" figure yesterday too) ... She doesn't follow measurements ... at all. IE - to take a recipe and make something. I found that so odd. She mixes everything up, but never has to measure -- I'm going to try and work on that as well.
Sewing, baking, cutting something straight was something I was thought to do at a very young age. We spent (my mom and I, my babysitters and I or my aunty and I) alot of time creating things. I learned how to follow instructions and do very straight origami with my aunt. My mom and I baked ALOT growing up. And I had to learn to do it all. It was just how it was. My favourite memories are of my dad eating just about anything I made too! (God love him for that! Cause I swear it wasn't an easy task for him to do sometimes). I also had access to a sewing machine! I loved it! I made little dresses for my dolls, purses and bags and wee little blankets.
I guess I'm just saddened that she's 11, and she's totally lacking some of the skills that at her age, I just knew how to do. This really shows that I need to spend more time with her. I'll really make more of an effort now to teach her these things. And, now, I know to buy her craft projects to make. Times have changed so much - she knows how to use a computer really well, an PS system, the Digital Cable TV - Which are all things I didn't grow up with - but still! There are basics I really want her to know. I think we'll focus on making dinner next week.
Anyways! :)
No comments :
Post a Comment