Monday, November 01, 2010

31 Years ago ... I was born. I was small, tiny even. And I grew -- I grew because I was so loved and looked after by the most amazing woman in my life. I grew because I was loved by the best guy in my life -- the constant in my life. I grew because "They" really loved me. My family was wonderful raising me. Wonderful for loving me. And 31 years later - my mother down the road, my father accross the world ... they love me. 31 years later they are still raising me and supporting me and loving me.

7 years ago ... I grew into a wife. I grew because he loved me. He chose me. We chose each other. 7 years ago I was the luckiest girl on the planet to be married to my husband. 7 years ago I feel completely in love (all over again). 7 years ago I wore black, I wore my colors, I did it OUR way. I chose our way to be married.

Today, a day of music and celebration,
I pledge to share my life with you.
Whether the days that come are happy or sad,
I will live them with you.
George, I give myself to you as your wife.

And today ... 31 years later, 7 years later ... I am smiling. I am looking back on the years of my life, all the heartache I've gone through. I look back on all the hospital stays, all the cutting done to me, all the times I missed. But 31 years, and 7 years, I'm happy. I am loved. I am "healthy". And I am me. I am not where "I always thought I would be at 31" ... I am far from where I thought I was ... I am lacking a child ... the thing I want - wanted- most in my life. But, I am alive. I am happy and I am in love (again and again).

So, 31 years later, 7 years later, I thank the people in my life for making the strong woman I am today. Everyone who helped love me, raise me and support me. Then, and today you all mean the world to me. I think back to birthdays of years ago, and they all made me smile. Halloween parties to die for! Lunches at "No Pop Shop" with Nancy and Richard -- I did that for many years while in school ... I miss those lunch dates!! Supers with Jeremy and George -- Okay, some I don't miss -- stupid Boston Pizza singing "Happy Birthday" -- ggrr! But they were fun! And so worth looking back to.

*a side note, last night for Halloween was a BLAST! My niece and I dressed up as witches and went out trick-treating!! Here's how we looked!*

2 comments :

Fawn said...

Just getting around to this post -- what a lovely love letter. Happy belated birthday, Dee!

Nita said...

That brought tears to my eyes! Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary. We are both of us lucky women indeed to be loved so completely by our spouses.