Hellooooooo Everyone!!It's been a blast so far following along with this hop ... it really really is making me want to play with ruffles more often. Now I have to figure out a way to use my scraps into ruffles? And make it all match ... but anyways!
I've been really busy making quilt squares for my bees ... And then in Feb we were gone a lot - so there hasn't been as much time for me in my "room" as I wanted. But I did have some plane rides to do some knitting on.
My 1st option for this lovely bright pink cording was going to be for around a "tea pot" (my coffee press) cozy ... but yeah - that didn't' happen. Then I though about a coaster ME at work - And thought - lets add some ruffles around it!!So ... hours of sitting knitting on the plane (alright - honestly - it was like only during take off that I knitted! Hahaha) ... I came up with this lovely cording. Then I sewed my lovely cording together on the back so it wouldn't come apart .... I love it ...
Now onto the ruffles ... BTW people - my luck with making ruffles sucks ... like BAD!!! I made a whole bunch of aprons out of old pairs of jeans - and tried and tried with my machine to make them ... played with stitches and tension and it all - with NO LUCK! The stupid thread would break and it just didn't work. SO - I mastered the art of pin-tuck type ruffles - they looked great - but still. This time around - I got brave - and though screw this ruffles - I'm gonna do it!! And it worked!!! I was able to sew a nice straight line down it all and gather it all together and it WORKED! I was so pleased! And - 40ish inches of fabric made my lovely round circle.

Now a smart person would have stitched this on by hand - but I'm not totally smart. So about 10 starts and stops and breaking of fabric later - OH! And 2 pressure foot swap outs - I got it attached. And I love it!
Here she lives at work ... :)
Thanks for reading my journey in ruffle land ......... I soooooo wish this was some cute little pillow or some cute little ruffle baggie like I had dreamed of making ...but alas ... I have my adorable coaster.
Please have a peek at my fellow blogger's sites! :) :)
A Geeky Crafty Life **ME!!!!**
This is my first attempt at paper piecing as well - The Circle Geese block - when I first saw this - I kinda had a bi of a hissie fit - a BIG ONE! Then when I sat down today following the instructions - I had an even bigger fit! Then I overcome my issues and WHAM!!! It's amazing! Easy peas and worked like a charm. SO much so that I wanted it for myself! A lovely pillow for the living room. And it looks great!

60 comments :
Your mug rug and pillow are darling! Great job!
Cute mug rug. Creative idea of combining yarn and fabric. Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat
Two great projects. Ruffles are so contagious. Sew glad you joined us.
Love your mug rug and the pillow is beautiful! Thank you for sharing.
Your mug rug is so adorable with the ruffled edge! Very cute. I love your pillow too. Thanks for getting ruffled with us!
xo jan
What cute projects…really like how you combined the yarn and ruffles!! Thanks for sharing :)
…and your Minion mug is adorable!!!
What a fun, happy coaster, so clever!
Great mug rug and pillow! Thanks for sharing.
I love the coaster with ruffles, there are so many great ideas on the this Ruffle hop:)
The coaster is so adorable! Love it.
Nice color on the pillow!
I love your mug rug and pillow. They are super cute with the ruffles.
Love your mug rug and your pillow. Great work!
Wonderful! Love your coaster and sew glad you tried again and made your pretty pillow. Great job and an A for perseverance.
Both your projects are sweet, and the mug rug is very clever!
Well, making ruffles with cording, how creative, great!
Lovely ruffles in spite of the troubles you had...good for you for keeping at it. Your paper piecing looks great!
Yet another unique project!! Love the "ruffle" coaster and your pillow came out great!!
Cute projects, in spite of the problems you had. Great job.
flying geese ruffled, mug rugs….ohhhh I like how you think in ruffles wink
Cute, cute coaster idea. and the pillow is adorable! blessings, marlene
mug rug is a great idea!! cute pillow too.
That mug rug is very cute and I like the ruffles on the pillow. I have that paper piecing pattern and need to use it. Thanks for sharing!
I love the ruffled coaster and the pillow! Good for you for keeping on trying!
Thanks for sharing your projects. You can get hooked on ruffles, and paper piecing, I glad you kept trying and made second great project.
I enjoyed reading about your ruffle journey. Very nice projects and your sense of humor made your post a joy to read.
Your ruffle looks great with your i-cord coaster. I like your Minion cup too, lol!!
I need to learn how to do that i-cord thing. You have my admiration for that.
I am not sure what thread you were using to pull the gathering threads but did you try doing a zig zag stitch over a heavy cord like a crochet cording of a decent weight?? That does work especially on garments. I feel for you having such a frustrating time trying to use the machine.
Good job on the pillow and coaster in the end though! Learn from our experiences, right?
Love the coasters and your pillow is adorable! :)
I love it. Quilters just never give up. Thanks for sharing
Lovely! Great idea for a coffee rest. It never would have occurred to me to knit a center and then add ruffles. Your pillow has JUST the block I am looking for. Thank you for telling the name of it. Now I can look up the directions. I am glad to see you are not the kind of gal to give up. Your pillow is charming.
What a unique mugrug. (love your coffee cup) LOL!! The flying geese cushion is gorgeous!
I think you did a wonderful job!
It does look great, Dee! Nice job! Now I will have no fear when I make mine. :)
It always feels good to master something new!
Both projects are so cute! I do admire that you kept on trying...not sure I would have! Love the little mug coaster!!! GREAT JOB!
Love your mug rugs...I am sure all the staff here would love if I make them one..
Love BOTH your projects! Gooood job!! Love the Mug Rug/Coaster...the CUP tho has stolen my Heart! Loooove the Minions! lol
Lovely ruffled projects and fabulous job! Thank you sew very much for Hopping...
Great projects! Love your fabric choices.
I'm glad you stuck with it; your projects are great. Really love the pillow. Hmmmm, I do wonder why all the thread breakage - your thread wasn't old was it? There is a way to gather by zig-zaging OVER a heavier weight cording - perhaps that might work for you.
What a cute coaster. And your pillow is "Darling".
I am very glad you persevered; your projects are wonderful. I adore the coaster with the ruffle. I cannot image trying to adhere the ruffle to the knitting. That had to be a trick. Your circle flying geese pillow is amazing. I like the colors and the ruffles are just the pop to pull it all together. Thanks again for persevering, sharing, and being a wonderful inspiration.
Very lovely projects. Combining yarn and fabric was creative.
Your mug rug is cute. Love the pillow.
Glad you didn't give up on the ruffles. One hint if you're stitching a straight row or two and then gathering by hand: use nylon upholstery thread, maybe tighten top tension just a skad. Then gather. Guaranteed not to break. BTW, love the mug rug. May have to make one. Just think, if you'd knitted I-cord for the whole flight you could have made a nice warm bath mat or bedside rug. If it were wool, imagine how toasty it would be if you felted it!
Congrats on mastering paper piecing. Great pillow.
Never under estimate yourself. That's a great mug rug and in season too The pillow is darling.
I like the ruffled mug rug for your office. The pillow looks wonderful! I have that block on my to-do list.
Love the pillow and great job with all of your first attempts!!
I love the mug rug! And the pillow is lovely. Well done.
cheers
maggie
maggie mine42@gmail.com
Lovely! I broke a few threads, too, on my ruffles but they all came out ok in the end! Beth @ Words & Stitches, pbstrand@msn.com
So sweet! I love your projects! :)
Love the pillow and the mug rug, and everyone needs to have a pic with Minions!
Such a creative idea. I like the ruffle around the pillow, too. I used to make ruffles around pillows back in the 1980s and we got away from it, but I have enjoyed seeing the ruffle blog hop revisiting them. By the way, stop on March 12 for my blog day (Patchwork Breeze). I will be giving a few hints on how to get the threads to work a bit easier for ruffles.
Both of your ruffle projects are really adorable, thanks for sharing..
I love your coaster! It looks great on your desk. I've been wanting to do that circular flying geese, but I just haven't gotten to it. Yours looks great, and so does your ruffle!
The ruffle is a perfect touch to your coaster. I'm not much for ruffles and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who used this hop to push out of out comfort zones.
I love your coaster, what a great idea!
Pretty peach ruffles! ~Shari
Both of your projects are great. My favorite is the coaster.
Lovely job on your ruffles, they show off you Minion mug very nicely. The pillow is great! I make ruffles by pulling out the top thread, then zig sagging with a wide stich over it. It works really well. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment