Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wow, 2nd day in a row to post a blog ... but whatever! It's quiet in the house, I did stuff yesterday ... that I'm proud of, so posting I shall go -- that and I know next week I might not get any posting in at all .. so this is better than none! (Though, I wonder if I can post from my Iphone! I might look into that actually)

So, I had a scrapbooking girls' nite last night ... and it was my turn to make the goodoes for the party. I didn't want to do "store bought" as much as I could avoid. I thought about mini quiches - I had never made a mini version of it, and honestly have only made 2 large ones in my life. They turned out perfect!

Dee's Mini Quiches ....

Version 1 - Veggies!
Ingredients:
  • 12 - 15 mini pie shells - thawed
  • Broccoli (small little pieces)
  • Red, Green and Yellow peppers - finely chopped (about 1/3 of each pepper)
  • Red Onion - finely chopped (1/4 cup)
  • Spice mix from "Clean Eating" the new cook book -- I have no idea what exactly is in this mix, but it's MEGA good with this! HOLY CRAP! (Yes, I'll try and fine the recipe for it, since I'm going to be in need of more shortly!)
  • little splash of olive oil
  • 1/2 cup of shredded marble cheese (light!!)
  • 1/2 carton of pre-done egg whites
  • 1/8 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
I layered carefully some marble cheese (using about 1/4 cup of cheese for 12 mini quiches) on the bottom of the wee tart shell ... put a wee sprig of broccoli on top of that (small enough that it fits in there, but big enough that you can see if when you bite into it)
Saute the onions, spices, olive oil and peppers till the onions just turn translucent - you don't want to over cook it all, but it helps to have it s a bit done before baking.

Put in about 1 teaspoon of the mix on top of the cheese/broccoli - sprinkle the rest of the cheese over top the mixture.

Mix your egg whites with the cream - pour a little bit over the mixture in the shells. Be careful not to add too much, you'd be surprised how little it takes to just cover the ingredients.

Bake in the oven (400) for 10 min - this cooks the shells - then lower the hear to 360 and bake for about 1/2 hr, depending on how hot your oven gets - a convection oven may take less time.


Version 2 ... Meat, Onion and whatever else!

Ingredients:
  • 12 - 15 mini pie shells thawed
  • Mushrooms - enough to make 1/4 cup finely chopped
  • White onions (finely chopped to 1/4 cup)
  • Mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
  • 5 pieces of pre-cooked bacon (that microwavable stuff you can get in the meat section of the grocery store -- there was far less fat when fried up than using the "real" bacon) - chop this up as well - you can use more if you like more bacon flavor
  • 1/2 carton of egg whites - mixed with 1/8 cup 1/2 and 1/2 cream
Instructions :)
Divide the cheese in 1/2 - and put a small bit on the bottom of each shell

Gently saute the mushrooms, onions and bacon till the onions looked cooked

Spoon aprox. 1 teaspoon of the mix over the cheese in the shells

Sprinkle remaining cheese over top the mixture

Poor the egg/cream mixture in each sheel - careful not to over pour!!

Follow the same baking instructions as the veggie ones.


Okay, I know the recipes aren't original too too much - but my goodness they sure were tasty and looked awesome when done. I can't wait to make more of these little guys! That was my fun time yesterday :) I even had a couple left over ones for breaky this morning they were YUMMY!!!