I got inspired last week by all the fabrics in my quilt … and thought that I had some scraps left over, that I should do something with them! There really wasn't much I could do – in terms of a functional sewing project. So, I thought of using it as paper! (using the sewing machine mind you – since it just looks cool!!)
So, I'll try and do a step-by-step!
Materials needed: (for puzzle piece)
- Pieces of scrap fabric – and at least a 6X6 square (for the main base)
- Sewing machine – with a contrasting thread as the fabric
- Mod Podge – I used the gloss – but bought some satin finish to see what would happen (never did use it though)
- Scissors – ones that cut pretty good at the tip
- 2 sided tape – REAL strong stuff – either in cut off pieces, or a runner
- Iron on infusible web – this makes sewing the pieces onto the fabric sooo much easier!
- And of course! An Iron (and if you have 2 like me, not the good house one for clothing – use the crappy one of the 2 in case you get glue on the poor iron)
- Foam brushes to brush on the mod podge
- Puzzle pieces – these ones are about 4X6 – give or take depending on the shape – the pieces I used were from a child's big 3X2 foot puzzle I got at Wal-Mart – the pieces are great to use for little projects and gifts (I make mine into magnets btw)
Step 1 – Cut the large piece of fabric that would cover the whole puzzle piece
Step 2 – Layer your fabric pieces over the base piece – for an idea of how many you'll need to sew on
Step 3 – Put the pieces of fabric on a piece of infusible web – iron them on to bond the adhesive (so, for this step, I covered a 6X6 square full of small pieces of fabric – to use as much of the infusible web
Step 4 – peel off the backing to the webbing – and then cut off the individual pieces of fabric – trimming away any of the webbing that was left on the sides – this saves and extra glue getting on the fabric – AND the iron (hahaha)
Step 5 – arrange the pieces onto your base fabric again – Iron them in place
Step 6 – using a zigzag stitch on the machine – go over the pieces.
Step 7 – On the white side of the puzzle pieces (yes, this matters – since the pink piece I did I used the printed side, and it looks pretty ucky!) – put a generous layer of mod podge
Step 8 – Cover the back of the fabric with mod podge – layer over the puzzle piece – press in place
Step 9 – generously cover the top with even more mod podge
--- Let this dry to a bit tacky ---
Step 10 – add another layer of pod podge (I found the more layers, the nicer finish to the finished piece)
--Let this dry to almost totally dry –
Step 11 – cut away as much as the extra fabric as your sicssors allow
Step 12 – for the rounded bit to the piece that the sizzoers have a hard time getting into – I did this (See the picture) – putting some REAL good tape along the edge of puzzle piece so when folded back, the pieces of fabric would stick in place – it works great, less of a head ache trying to Exacto knife the pieces out.
Step 13 – So, depending if you want to make this as a magnet – put your stick on magnet stuff on the back. If not, you have a great piece to go into a scrapbooking page! Definitely fun!! I love the look of them! I'll probably doctor them up a bit, by adding some bling here and there, and maybe adding a color along the edges of the puzzle)
So, I said a give-a-way today! I'm sending a random commenter one of the magnetic pieces! Either the orange, or the yellow one! (the pink one turned out like crap - so I'm not even posting that one!)
Okay – so having posting issues – it deleted a whole section of this post! UGH! So here's a simple picture of what else I made with the scraps – It's great!! (For the record, I'm going to have to find a plan B for posting step-by-step instructions online. I still find using my good Web Page programs better than this - but this works in a pink)
7 comments :
Good, detailed post, Dee! Thanks for sharing!
Awesome! I"m impressed! Those are such great ideas!
that's so cool! great idea to make with the scraps
So cute! Love it! Gonna link to a bunch of friends if you don't mind. XD
That's way too much work for a scrapbook page for me! LOL But I do love the way the puzzle pieces turned out. I can think of lots of things you could embellish with those!
Imagine a puzzle-piece shaped notebook! (And what fun to cut out all the pages in the same shape. Tee hee!)
Hmm, was that a Max and Ruby puzzle? ;)
cool idea!
LOVE the puzzle piece!! That is soooo awesome!!
Post a Comment