Saturday, February 25, 2012

Canteen Show & The DRESS

2012 – Big Band Canntee Dance – Rendezvous!!! With some fly boys playing! (And gal!!)
So I spent the past week slightly freaking out over the dress I bought for this dance. The dress that at first was a bit tight in areas that *I* saw! But, with a little cinching, some laces and a lovely corset – it worked great! Basically, I looked about 20lbs lighter! (btw! This is the BEST motivation for me to actually lose 20 more pounds! And, to realize, that I can do that!!)  And! Then – even smoothing out all my “rolls” – I was slightly freaking out over – what I saw remember – boobs pouring out of my chest…. Again, I SAW that … that’s the first thing I noticed when I looked in the mirror – and even worse when I looked doooooooooown! But, again, that’s ME! Not what everyone else did! 
My day yesterday went a little like this…..



AM – spending it with hubs – having breakie – picking up some last minute things for me (ie- whore red nail polish since I forgot that!!) – Generally, trying to keep my mind away from the “dress”
Mid-Day – Getting my hair done at the salon – a rather busy one at that! And, it wasn’t my regular lady – so that alone had me friggen nervous! And then she started doing …. Some pin-up look to my hair. ACK! Wasn’t entirely sure what the hair would look like with the dress – so, I left there kind of freaking out some more. (Just what I needed, more freaking out btw!!).  But, with some reassurance from the ladies in the salon – it really did look GREAT!!! So good that we took lots of pictures – and the hair dresser – Now I’ll affectionately name her Miss V – had posted it on Facebook before I even got Home!!!

Later Afternoon – Stressing about the dress some more. “She” needed to be ironed! Well, I burned her with the first press! OMG I was freaking out! (Thank goodness I had mom on the phone!! She was my sanity 90% of the day yesterday! I owe her so much!!! SOOO MUCH!!!) So, after listening to my mom (yes, I know, a hard concept for any daughter to do!!) – I got the girl ironed … about 30min later and many many curses and about 2 cups of water sprayed over her! (Luckly the burn mark falls in the “folds” of the dress!!). But – freaking out all over again!



Then it became make-up time. I googled some more … Looked up some more beauties online. But, to be honest with you – all the good pictures were black and white!!! But, I managed rather well! I tried to do my eyes with a wee twist – added some more black in the lower lids – since my eyes seem a bit on the large side, I needed to “tone” them down a bit – it looked awesome!!!!!! The “face” seemed to take whatever I put on it like a champ yesterday – and I even had to use some blush – which looked great – I didn’t look AS white …

Evening – I left hubs to go do his thing (btw – he looked GREAT last night!!)  - and I went over to my parents for dinner and mom’s help! (She made a lovely dinner and had it all ready for me when I got there! LOOOOOVE mom’s cooking!!). I still can’t believe how well she did getting me dressed – the dress itself is beautiful – but all the work was literally done underneath her! Full lace up corset, garters and stockings …. I truly was channelling my inners 1940’s diva (Who apparently was my Grandma!!!! She was a performer singing and playing piano in the 40s …. So I’m betting, the laughing I “heard” last night as mom laced me tighter must have been her … along with my aunts up there …. ).

The DANCE!!! Well, packed parking lot before the doors were “open!!” – Then people were all dressed up – it looked awesome! It happened in our Transportation Museum – so a lovely back drop for a 1940’s dance. SOOO cool with lovely hard wood floors – great for dancing it seemed. We found a table and chairs (stole a couple!) and sat back for the evening. Dad and I don’t really dance, we like to listen – so that was perfect! And! What made it even better – I actually got to watch hubs play!! (normally he’s hiding someplace in the back, but the way they did the stage it was perfect for me!)

The whole time was perfect! I loved it! I had many many many compliments on my dress, hair, shoes … it ALL!! I’m so happy I wore that. (I did not go into the costume contest – I don’t do crowds, or glamor or attention like that too well). But all in all  … AMAZING!!! Near the end of the dance the military band played – modern songs done with a swing twist – and I danced with the Big Band Girls – which I could have done that a bit longer though. By then I was pretty happy
So that’s my evening … my big night out – all the effort paid off. I can’t wait to wear the dress again – I can’t wait to get my hair done like this again as well. (BTW even after a night’s sleep, it still looks pretty good this morning. And the bobby pins are STILL in place! So, pretty hair today while we go out and about – I’ll take pictures of today too … so that’ll be another long  post).

Have a GREAT day everyone – and to those who supported me with the whole “dress thang” – thank you all so much! Sometimes I need an extra push – shove!! – to get over “myself” and just go for it.


3 comments :

Mrs.Pickles said...

You totally sounded like me getting ready to go out.I think you looked great!! Hair, makeup, dress, shoes you had the whole package going on and pulled it off too!

Josie McRazie said...

Nothing can ever go wrong when you 'bring the girls out'! I'm just sayin! Always my Honeymans favorite part of any good goin out outfit!!

Christine L said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time.. and enjoyed yourself. Dressing up is my least favorite thing to do.. I am a total jeans and tshirt girl have been since I was 7. haha... So I know your stress level ;) Good for you!