Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Summer ... 2016 ... not a whole waste of time


Welcome to some of my Summer 2016 ... I'm a week into my booked off Vacation - and I've actually done something ... FOR ME!

But ... onto what's happened before that!

I've managed to get a bit more creative. I've taken up doing some squares form sew-alongs online.

The Snapshot quilt blocks here - http://fatquartershop.blogspot.ca/p/snapshots-quilt-along.html

Then the special one from Lori Holt here - http://fatquartershop.blogspot.ca/2016/06/lori-holts-farm-girl-vintage.html

I'm starting to decorate my little room a bit more thanks to that. One thing I'll say when making these blocks - make markers of some sort to keep things in check. I made some out of that crafting foam "paper" - works like a charm - and bonus - your pins go through it like butter!

I also made a design board - mine was 24X24 - I wanted it to fit my largest block I was trying (the sewing machine) - AMAZING tutorial for that here - http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.ca/2011/07/mini-design-board-tutorial.html I highly suggest making one for yourselves ... AMAZINGLY handy for sure!!!

Onto my dress ... Cashmerette - Upton Dress! There is a sew-along- online on some advice while making it - I also read a couple other blogs about it. So that's great - and handy.
Now what I've learned with this ....

  • Darts suck - and with a more "solid" looking fabric - not sure how much I like them appearing
  • This pattern worked well for grading the size - I went from a 22 bust - to a 26 waist (the sizing is a bit strange - but worked!!!)
  • I suck at lining something! Still not 100% sure I did it correctly - but it worked! 
  • I don't need a zipper!!! So - my next dress - I'm doing the back as one piece to save some of the awkward sewing. 
  • I love making something! I LOVE the feeling of wearing something I did
  • I will be making another - probably sooner than later
So my vacation might have been cancelled ... so I'm stuck around Whitehorse .... So I've wasted pretty much another year of vacation leave ... OH WELL! That's why we have booze right? I'm fighting all my vises right now - I would pay dearly to sit and smoke a pack of cigs ... to drink into oblivion ... to eat the whole chocolate cake kit I have in the pantry ... to indulge .... to eat away all my feelings ... But ... I haven't. I guess that's progress right? 

Lets see how this update is in another month ... :) 

No comments :