Saturday, June 13, 2009

Remember Me....

Do not shed tears when I have gone
but smile instead because I have lived.

Do not shut your eyes and pray to God that I'll come back
but open your eyes and see all that I have left behind.

I know your heart will be empty because you cannot see me
but still I want you to be full of the love we shared.

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live only for yesterday
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of what happened
between us yesterday.

You can remember me and grieve that I have gone
or you can cherish my memory and let it live on.

You can cry and lose yourself become distraught
and turn your back on the world
or you can do what I want - smile, wipe away the tears,
learn to love again and go on.

I can't go on. I must go on. I'll go on.

So my afternoon today was spent at the cemetery saying good bey to a dear friend of mine. One of the ladies I look after at work passed away 2 wks ago ... She meant a lot to me, and so did her family. I read this poem out to her family. It was very touching.

After this, I got thinking about how many dear friends of mine that I have lost at work. I remember them all, then I start to smile ... and giggle and laugh and think of the great times I've had with them. I think about how upset people are at this time, looking around at the funerals I have been to, and I see how many people, for whatever reason weren't around during my friends' last days of life. I look at how many people got to miss out on how happy they were, and how touching they were. I feel sorry for them for missing them for how they are "now" ... not how they were 10 yrs ago. I also think back to how happy I am that I got to spend those last days with them ... I'm so very happy to be honored with those last days ... the last hours.

Marcel, Sarah, Suzy, Tom, Wallace ....... And many more ... Today is about remember you all, and about the happy times I spent with you, and the love and laughter you have given me. Thank you for allowing me those times, all the happiness and all the tears, smiles and everything. I can see you all up there right now, smiling down on us, laughing at us, teasing us. Knowing that you are all at peace, that you are able to be up running around makes my job, my day, my time much easier. Thank you :)


No comments :