Okay, so what do all these 4 have in common! Well, a lot in their own special ways.
I made another quilt – in record time actually. It took 7 days to have it quilted and delivered. It's now being snuggled with in the hospital!! I'm so happy it can bring someone so much joy and comfort when they are going through such a horrible time and a horrible amount of pain. (See, this is how it ties in with pain! Told ya!!). Anyways, it turned out so nice. I tried 2 different techniques as well. Anyways – here's a list of this quilt … and everything
But, this was a serious quilt. There are so many reasons why I made it, and so many things I've learned while making it (quilting related, and many other thoughts went through my head as well)
- Sometimes old methods of quilting are better than the "new" tricks people have. Example: The method of front sewing on the binding with the MACHINE – no hand stitching needed. Well, I'll tell you a little something, you need to almost be 100% f'ing exact to make it work right – which I'm not, nor intend to be while I quilt. So, Lesson SOOO learned, I'll be doing this part by the old method, of hand stitching it to the back – it looked way better – takes MUCH more time, but I'm happier in the long run with that.
- Friends are almost as good as family. At least my friends seem to be that way. I made this quilt for a friend – I never really just "make someone a quilt" – so this was done with a lot of thought and a lot of effort. This is one of my most favorite fabrics out there, and it takes someone rather special to get this quilt. This made all the headaches so worth it. This was a true labor of love!
- Playing with a new foot while making a quilt like this was NOT the best idea either. I thought I'd save some time and effort and machine quilt around my border instead of hand stitching it (like the "inside" of the quilt is done). Well! I used a new "quilting foot" for this part. Again, F-THAT I'm not trying that one again. – Wait, not trying that with this thick of batting – maybe I'll attempt it with the proper batting. Anyways! Again, I'm pissed right off from that as well
- I think WAY Too much while I quilt. I think about family, I think about work, I think a lot about friends. It's amazing the thoughts that can pass through my head while quilting. I really start to reflect on my life a lot when I sew. Today I thought about how blessed I am. How loved I am, and how much love I give out. It was a nice feeling moment while sitting in the sun.
- Coffee …… DO NOT DRINK THE STUFF WHILE QUILTING AT 3AM (no, I do not get up at 3am to quilt – I work night shifts and sit and quilt a lot, since it's something I can put down and do work, and come back to)…. Next Lesson will be …. Does coffee come out of pretty pale pink flannel – We'll be seeing that answer in the morning! @#@$#@$!@#
- I've totally neglected my scrapbooking thanks to quilting ….. totally, 100% ignored it. And really am finding myself missing it. So, this week, I'll not be putting together another quilt – I'm going to be spending time scrapbooking. I have some June challenges to make, and I have my work scrapbook project to play with as well. I think it's time
Heat – AND Pain!! Oh, and GOLFING!
(ignore the bad rotation on the picture -- ugh too tired to fix it)
I went out with my dad and George yesterday for some golfing at a "course" … I think they call it a Lynx course, since it's in the bush and has sand greens and it pretty rustic. But, it gave me a place to aim for. Which, I have no aim! I was starting to get better at the end, after being told which direction to shoot in. Definitely a learning experience for me. I'm loving it though. Seriously loving it! I lost 2 club covers too! "#5" – George ran part ways back to get it, then at the end dad found it on the first hole! Hahaha! Then "One" … George went driving on the side of the course to find it – Rather cute how they got them for me. I was laughing and so touched. But I had a GREAT time. I want to do it again a couple more times before going to a real course. I'm so nervous at a real course and real people around. So we'll see!!
But, I got totally sunburned yesterday – To the point that sitting back hurts. A bra hurts, clothing f'ing hurts! So, I found something that goes between the "tan" lines and doesn't hurt as much. I'm heading to Walmart to get some real good lotion for it though. Cause man, this is not fun at all right now. Oh well! It was worth it at the time though.
Happy … I just finished a 2 week visit from my aunts form down south. And now life is getting back to some sort of normal. The summer can go on! Oh!!! And it's Relay for Life weekend coming up. So I'm busy making decorations for that.
Life is nuts, I could blog and blog and blog some more about all the news in my wee life right now. But, for now, lets see the pretty quilt instead. I'll do more updates next week or so.
2 comments :
You are so funny! I love your posts. So talented too!! What a gorgeous quilt!
Life is crazy in the summer in Yukon -- too much to do!
A friend of mine just made a quilt for her son and machine stiched the binding on. She said that she was told to use a "fancy" stitch (like a satin stitch) which covers more width and means you don't have to be exact. She used up a hell of a lot of thread, but she liked how it turned out. Just a thought for future projects where you DO feel like experimenting. (Maybe on a scrap first? LOL)
Post a Comment