of August (Wednesday) -- But I'll be out of town tomorrow (Friday) morning -so, I rather have this posted early than late. (it's worth getting to the end of this messie post, trust me!)
Welcome to Lovebug Scrapbooking's "INSPIRE US!" blog hop!! Our blog hops take place on the last Saturday of every month. Thanks so much for joining us!
If you just happened by this blog and didn't realize a blog hop was taking place, please go back to Lovebug Scrapbooking http://www.lovebugscrapbooking.wordpress.com and start the Hop. You won't want to miss all the inspiration from our members....... or the prizes :-)
Our theme for July is "HAPPY BIRTHDAY".
It's blog hop
this month! And I promise not to miss it ... I have to set a reminder to post it!! I'll be away that day again, but I'll do what I can!
This month's theme is all about BIRTHDAYS! And I love to make something special for my friends when it's theirs. So, this year, I'm challenging myself on making them a very one of a kind birthday card. I saw a wonderful post on of my favorite quilting sites about making cards with scrap fabric. Kinda like doing the same thing with ribbon. Here's the original found at the
Moda Bake shop.
.... And here's what I'll be doing.
I loved my Easter/Valentine's day ribbon shaped wall hanging thingy. SO, I'm going to so a version of that with my card. I'll use ribbon instead of the fabric. Since I have my big bucket of ribbon hanging out upstairs. I really like the look of the sewing as well -- so I'll use a crappy non-quilting needle and my machine and hope it works.
(OH! Btw - I'm writing the 1st part of this post before I start creating, I kinda like getting the before and after thoughts on a post these days.)
This is how it turned out - I LOVE IT! I did not use the fabric, and stuck with the ribbon idea. I'm not sure about sewing all along the tops of the ribbons - that seemed like way too much work, and at that point at night, I wasn't about to do it. So, I used various glue / "sticky" tape to keep the middles all in place. It all held up wonderfully - so I would suggest doing that if you try this.
I chose a couple different weights and widths of ribbon - to give it some dimension. I definitely liked the idea of a wider ribbon, then folding it in half and using it that way. Very cool.
Next, you make sure it's all secured onto your card. I then went about a 1/4 of an inch around the whole card front with a simple white thread. I wanted that part to stick out as much as possible. And, I wanted it still rather simple looking so it didn't take away from the look of the card.
I can't remember at what point I trimmed up the sides of the card. But, I would suggest you trim after it's sewn around the edges, just in case there's some "shrinkage" from the sewing
I chose pink, but my next one will be tried in a variegated rainbow. I added the wee little tag with a decorative pin with "Happy Birthday" added. I love the look if this. It can be done with various left over ribbons. I'm thinking some special Christmas ones will be tried.
Anyways, Thanks for looking ... enjoy the "tutorial" of the card being made. (I'm not too happy with the Layout and flow of this post, I'm hoping next month's post will surpass this one! hahaha)
This blog hop will run from today, July 31st until August 3rd. We will be drawing for winners on August 4th on the Lovebug blog
Follow along in our blog hop! Your next stop is April's lovely blog! http://ww w.aprilsscrappyplace.blogspot.com/
And just for getting to the end of this gibbled post ... I'll be drawing a random person who comments on this post for a custom made card like this one -- you pick the theme to it, and I'll endeavor to make you one and send it in the mail. So please, comment away everyone!!
11 comments :
Oh pretty!! I always love the things you make!
Love that! Great job, Dee!
how fun is that - if I win, I want an orange card!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, what a neat idea!
Wow that is a really different card. Great job and great for thinking outside the box.
very clever idea! TFS :)
Beautiful card and very neat idea!
What a great way to use up ribbon! And I think that making your friends/family one-of-a-kind cards this year is very thoughtful!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Lizzy
Neat Card. Great colors.
Wow! That's a great tecnhique! I love the use of fabric on cards and layouts!!!
Wow! Great card, I love how you used the fabric on the card.
Post a Comment