Quilting Beeee!
I feel all old fashioned saying those 2 words. I think if Quilting Bees … I think of the show “How to make an American Quilt” … I think of a group of biddy-body ladies sitting around together … I think of lovely pots of tea and crumpets sitting around. I think of flowers on the table. Thinking about doing something like this makes me simply smile and get that warm-fuzzy-feeling inside!
So, you might wonder why I’m writing about a “Quilting Bee” – living in the Yukon –where we have basically one quilting group (that I know of) – and most people have heard my comments about how that goes – so, why am I bringing up a Quilting Bee. Well! An ONLINE one that is!
My dear sweet friend Nita mentioned this to me a while ago … and I wasn’t too too sure about it. Then she brought it up again today … I read some more about it – looked at how some of them have gone for people. I read and re-read the “guidelines” and thought – lets go for it!
What happens is that there are 12 different ladies online who sign-up to make each person a quilt block of that person’s choice. So, each month, you’ll be making a new block for one of the ladies – their choice of pattern, and if they are specific, their colors as well. We use our material to create something for them. The one I’ve joined is for beginners – so that’s great! Hopefully I can figure out the patterns. (but! Luckily, since Nita lives only 5minutes away, I can get some help as well!! That’s the bonus to this wee project! I have someone here to quilt with each month).
I can’t wait to get started with this project. I have been trying to think of something I would want to make … And I think I have it down to a “Log Cabin” pattern – my favorite!! And I think I want girlie-girl colors – so pinks, purples, pale/bright patterns … and some black in there. So we’ll see what people come up with. I’ll have at the end, 12 blocks I can place together.
A suggestion the hostess came up with – make 2 blocks each month – so that at the end, I’ll have a quilt of all my pattern – then another quilt made up of each person’s pattern – so I’ll have 2 quilt tops when it’s completed. VERY cool idea.
I’m excited to get started – excited to get to sew each month – and it’ll MAKE me stay in my ROOM!! The more I’m in there, the more I want to be in there creating things. This will give me that extra edge! I already thought of something nice to do for the ladies too in the group – I thought of making them each a wee card from the scraps that are left over. OR even a small something. But something that would use the scrapbooking creativity of mine as well as the fabric I used for their quilts. I can’t wait! (I’m really hoping each lady has a blog as well – maybe reading mine and Nita’s might push them to try as well) – OH, that’s the other benefit to this! (There are 2 big ones in my books) – I’ll have something to blog about EACH month – my quilt square!! Then! I get to go shopping if I don’t have the scraps in my collections for their quilts. I really hope I don’t have to do that too too often, but I’m really excited about it!
So, here’s to hoping this goes alright.
No comments :
Post a Comment