Sunday, March 04, 2012

Friday...Saturday...Sunday


I have learned something new this week … I learned that I really really dislike making this….
STARFLOWER BLOCK!! I have never cursed so much as I have today – yesterday – the day before that!!
It involves careful cutting, careful sewing, even more carefully squaring up the blocks, ironing the seams OPEN (btw – I did that once, and said F-it and iron towards the dark!!) and then mega careful sewing the stupid squares together.

I was not a happy camper doing this at all – At least I started doing the blocks out of my Christmas Quilt fabric instead of starting with the “good” fabric. Cause. At least I have 2 blocks done – feeling pretty OK doing that. And I started on my 1st pink block – which went fairly well since I pressed to the dark – WAY less frustrating!!

And, thanks to my dear sweet Nita – I am NOT stressing about being “off” by a wee bit on a seem – especially when the project is for me … no one will be picking apart my quilts … people just don’t DO that – so I feel better that way. Once I realized that – and she made me feel soooo much better about my block, I was able to make the 2nd one with no stress, and even started to ENJOY making the pink one. (Never thought I would btw!)

So, today, I’m heading to town to the “quilt shop” …. And I’ll pick up some rainbow fabric for the lady’s block – I’m really excited about doing her block. Also, to be honest, I’m excited about going to the quilt shop too – since I haven’t been into a “REAL” one in a while. (BTW – most people know my opinion of our local shop – so it does take a lot of my patience to walk in there …. )

I’m excited to get the blocks done – and make her a 5 inch siggy block too … and, I have a plan for the 2nd block the pattern makes … one of the ladies I look after at work LOVES rainbows – and I love rainbows – so I’m going to make the 2nd block into a lovely pillow for her bed (and she’s out of town right now, so I’ll surprise her when she comes home to see this there!!)

---Update—Fabric is purchased – beautiful!!! I can’t wait to construct the beautiful rainbow!!
BUT! I also got swindled into making a friend of mine a quilt too – she bought 2/3s of the fabric – and I bought the backing etc. to it. Beautiful polka dots and paisleys and lovely flannel!! BEAUTIFUL!! I can’t wait to make this baby! I’m trying to think of what would use the patterns up the nicest – and I think a modified log cabin. So focusing on the lovely larger prints in the middle, and then adding the smaller ones around them. And I think I can do some funky hand/machine quilting.
(I’m watching the movie Always – and it makes me cry just as much now, as the first time I watched it years ago!! And that stupid songs drives me nuts and makes me tear up!! “They asked me how I knew…… My true love was youuuuuuuuu……” Maybe not the best way to start my morning – crying while writing a blog!!!)
Now that my Friday, Saturday and Sunday post is complete - I shall go hide in the rooooooom and quilt! (And do laundry at the same time - since it's beyond laundry day in the house - ggrrr!!)

3 comments :

Mrs.Pickles said...

great looking blocks! Just keep thinking i am doing the best that I can do and if the don't like it then they can..... ^&(*&$ LOL Plus I have seen your work in person and it is just as good as everyone elses so you shouldn't stress out :)

Christine L said...

Looks great....sorry to hear your first ones were so challenging...glad to hear they started to get easy. Look forwardto seeing your rainbow block.

Josie McRazie said...

I think you did a great job! I am not such a fan of pressing open either! I like when my seams can 'butt' up, I think they come together MUCH better!! I do however take the time to 'unstitch' a few in the center of the block and press that final seam so it lays flat, i think it makes all the difference in the world!!