Monday, October 22, 2012

My WICKED Day!!

Welcome to the AMAZING!!! AWESOME!!! And ... a tad weee bit WICKED Blog Hop!! Today is MY DAY!!!

I LOVE Halloween!! 

A very special thanks to Wendy of Why Not Quilt  and Madame Samm from Sew We Quilt for putting together this WICKED blog hop! Be sure and visit the other blogs below that have some great blocks and finished projects to show you!

My Birthday falls on November 1st - so, naturally, we had some pretty good Birthday/Halloween Parties growing up. My mom was into costumes - and had the BEST stage make-up set - so we had some pretty neat looks. I remember gluing "fur" on my brother's face so he could be the "Wolf man" - I had made a witch's nose out of putty and glued that on and painted me green for an amazing scary witch one year (fell and sprained my wrist that year!!)

We dressed up as the Adam's family one year - my best friend was Morticia - SOOO amazing to see as all at the door ... we did great. Didn't go very far that year - since Morticia's dress wasn't too practical for Halloween in the Yukon! 

Anyways! That's how much I love Halloween! When I saw that there was to be a Halloween themed quilting Blog-Hop - I felt I *HAD* to do it - it was calling me! So, onto my project for the hop!!

I decided to make one of the hardest squares in my little knowledge base of squares. I normally "hate" this square - but I thought if I did it more ... I would learn to love it. As wicked as this is to make - I think it turns out friggen awesome ....... And looks great done in the Halloween themed fabrics (BTW - this is the only Halloween prints I own - it's lasted me a few seasons of crafting as well!)

I followed the tutorial for the Starflower Block - from  Ellison Lane Quilts  --> There is NO way I would take claim to these babies!! The GREAT thing about this tutorial is that it makes 2 blocks -- rather quickly too! I ended up with 4 blocks ... so I have one lovely left!

I sewed 3 together - and then did a VERY simple machine straight quilting to keep it together. (I'm not the best machine quilting, so I went easy peasy!!) I did a very simple cream backing to it ... and simple black binding. (which I loved doing btw - I forgot how relaxing sewing binding on can be while snuggled on the couch).

 Please take some time out of your day to follow along the hop and check out the blogs bellow for today! (I'll post tomorrow's list in the morning!)



Now - since you've all been patient reading my poorly written blog post - I have a give-away for one lucky reader out there! Nothing Fancy!! BUT! Halloween themed! I made some lovely "pin" cushion pumpkins to give out this year ... and one lucky person will be sent one of these!! All you have to do - please leave me a comment .... :)   (and I'll ship this anywhere ... !!!)

116 comments :

Kathy said...

I love the colors in your blocks and your pincushion is adorable. Thanks for being wicked

Theresa said...

That's a lovely, wicked runner - love that orange fabric with the spider webs on it and your pumpkins are gorgeous.

quiltma said...

I love your runner. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday and I was lucky enough to have a daughter born on the wonderful day.

Amy said...

I love your runner. I have yet to try those wicked blocks yet!

Judy B said...

Your runner is awesome! Love your fabric pumpkins too. Thank you for sharing and the great giveaway.
jbechosend at sbcglobal dot net

Gina Loomis said...

Your runner is fantastic! I love the colors & fabric design! You did a great job! Your pincushions are really cute! Thanks for participating in the blog hop & inspiring us today! I'm following! And Happy Birthday early!

Kathy MacKie said...

Love the pincushions, sew hope I win, thanks.

Thearica said...

Your runner is fabulous and so are the pincushions.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful table runner and your piecing looks perfect! What cute little pumpkin pin cushions, I would love to win one!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Your fear of the HST and the lovely blocks you created - you have mastered this one! Great table runner to enjoy for Halloween and right into Thanksgiving. And your pincushions I was so admiring and then scrolled a little further - oh, would love one of these. Thank you for sharing with us today.

Sunshine Girl said...

Great runner and those pin cushions are adorable - thanks for the chance to win and thanks for sharing.

Nati said...

It is a really cute project, thanks for sharing... and thanks for the chance to win!

Fawn said...

Beautiful, Dee! The runner is gorgeous! And I love your wee pincushions!

Heleen Groot said...

Your runner looks fantasticly wicked! Are you going to dress up for Halloween this year too? I would love to see your costume choice!Love the pumpkins!

Britt-Inger said...

Your table runner is very lovely and your pincushions are super cute. Thanks for sharing your wicked thoughts
Britt-Inger in Sweden

Celtic Thistle said...

Your runner is great. I know what you mean too about enjoying sitting down to bind a quilt. Sweet pincushions too!

Teresa said...

What a great post. Thanks for sharing.

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

HST are great and so is your runner. Thanks for sharing and having the giveaway.

Anonymous said...

Love your star blocks and the pincushions you can never have enough of. From California, thanks for sharing.

Rosa said...

Yor stars runner is gorgeosus and the pincushion are very cute.thanks for sharing!!

Betsy said...

Your project is wonderful and so creative. Thank you for sharing your wickedness today!

Carin said...

I love your tablerunner, its great !!
Your one day ahead with your birthday because mine is november 2 :-)

Thanks for the beautiful give away, those pumpkins are so beautiful.

Julie said...

I love your tablerunner -- will have to make one of those and the pin cushion is adorable. Thanks

Marla's Crafts said...

Those are so cute. Your blocks turned out nice.

Gill said...

Great blocks! the starflower is one of my favourites too!
Thank you for sharing!

tink's mom said...

This is a great table runner for the holiday. You did a great job mastering "the block". Would love a chance at one of the pumpkin pin cushions. Thanks for sharing.

Laura VanVleet said...

I love the little pumpkins and your table runner is great! Thanks for sharing this project!

Calicojoan said...

Hummm 2 blocks at once you say?? I am going to have to check out that tutorial at Ellison Lane myself!! Great pumpkin pincushion!

charlotte said...

Love your stars. Great fabrics in there. It made a nice runner.

Mommarock said...

I love what you created, but the pumpkins are just wonderful and really caught my eye!

Sheila said...

Your runner is just lovely , such pretty colors and those pumpkins are adorable , thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I also love the wonderful colors in this table runner.....and your pumpkins are delightful...

carla said...

Hi!! Love your WICKED blocks!! Love the pumpieladdikins!!! They are WICKED too!!!

Charlene S said...

That is a truly wicked block to make. You make it look easy. Your pumpkin pin cousins are wicked! I would love to win one.

krislovesfabric said...

Love your star blocks, will have to look up that tut! And your little pumpkin pincushions? They are beautiful :)

pinsandneedles said...

Your runner is wicked wonderful in Halloween colors! Well done. Your pumpkin pincushion are cute too! Thanks

In stitches and seams said...

love your Halloween themed stars perfect colors. and such cute pumpkins sure would love one of those.
thanks sew much for sharing and hosting your give away
in stitches

Renea said...

Your blocks are sew cute and I love the pumpkin pincushions. thanks for the great giveaway.

Josie McRazie said...

I love that block because you get two for the price of one! Bonus! LOL I think your table runner is great!

Unknown said...

Your table runner is very festive especilly with all the cute pumpkin pin cushions.

gpc said...

I love your blocks - I haven't tried anything so tricky yet, and they are beautiful. And thanks for doing such a cool giveaway!

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Love your runner!! Super cute pin cushions!!

Linda said...

Great job on the table runner! Your blocks are so nice! Great job!
(Your pumpkin pin cushions are adorable, too!)

Katherine McNeese said...

love those pumpkin pincushions!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Your Halloween table runner is beautiful...love the fabrics! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the sweet giveaway!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

YIKES!! I love this so much!

Anonymous said...

WOW what a wonderful and WICKED star block. Love the color choices. I am a new follower and pincushions are a fav. Come see me tomorrow at kwiltypleasures!

Anonymous said...

Loving the wicked star block and the pin cushions. Good job!

Barb N said...

Looks like you had great fun making this project - I love the fabrics you chose, and those pin cushions are the best! Happy Birthday (a bit early)!

Kathy H said...

I love that block, and your pattern looks much easier than the one I tried. It was so hard to do. Love those colors too. Happy Birthday early to you. The runner turned out so pretty.

Pauline said...

You made me smile, those Halloween stories are great! you made nice blocks, I love your runner! Thanks for sharing!

Betty said...

I love your project and OH those pincushions are so cute. Thanks for the chance to win one.

Brenda said...

You did a great job on your stars! Pratice did make you do a good job. I wouldn't be so scared of them now! Those little pumkin pin cushions are soooo cute! I hope I win one!
hulseybg@gmail.com

Carol Swift said...

That's a great runner with perfectly wicked colors. Love the colors and the blocks!

Darlene's Dabbles said...

I just love the star blocks and the colors are fabulous. Your pumpkins look wonderful too. I would love to win one. Darlene

ThreadCatcher said...

I love all star blocks...haven't seen many made like yours. The table runner turned out wonderful. Thanks for sharing and for the chance at your giveaway.

Jeanne Gwin said...

Your blocks are the star of your hop, how wickedly beautiful they are. Love the colors, love the pincushions, wish I had that pattern. What fun gifts. Thanks for a chance to win one. Great job. Come see me on the 26th

Shirley said...

Thank you for offering a chance at the pumpkin pincushion

Susan said...

I love Halloween too! BTW I collect pin cushions, but I don't have a pumpkin YET!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful runner and I loved reading your costume stories! (I can just imagine opening my door to the whole Adams Family! What a riot. Thanks for being on the hop. pbstrand@msn.com

Bonnie58 said...

Love the blocks and the pincushions. You are really an innovative designer. Thanks for the opportunity on a great draw.
bonnielarson58@gmail.com

Vivian said...

Your table runner is wonderful! It is very classy looking, for a Halloween item LOL...it showcases the fabrics quite well.

Vivian said...

I like the colors of your table runner, I love stars too. Thanks for the giveaway. Vivian

Sallie said...

Love your table runner and an early Happy Birthday to you! Thanks for participating in the Wicked hop!

Michele T said...

I really love table runners (ask my sisters!!) and this one is wicked!!! hehehe Thanks for sharing and for the chance to win one of your pin cushions!

barbara woods said...

love your blocks and table runner

Anonymous said...

Great table runner... love those little pin cushions. Thanks for the chance!

Anonymous said...

Nice blocks and lovely pincushions!
Gun, Sweden
gun@lapp.se

SpartanBabe said...

The blocks and runner turned out GREAT! Thanks for sharing and for hopping with us :o)

Laura said...

i love your runner. Great fabric stars!!

Rebeckah Austin said...

Nice runner. I like how it can be used all Fall season long.

nhlady said...

Being WICKED is so much fun!!

Thanks for sharing your talet with us!

THANK YOU ALSO FOR THE GIVEAWAY.

JustPam said...

I love your stars in your runner and the pin cushions are adorable. I sort of collect them, so of course would love to win one of yours!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Rosemary B here:
Those are really nice blocks and I love the finished project! You did wicked good! Thanks for sharing
and thanks for the chance to win one of your custom pumpkin pin cushions, soo cute!

Lyndsey said...

Your blocks are lovely and the colours are perfect.

Gwen said...

I love your Halloween pumpkins!!! I hope that I'm the lucky winner, but if not, I guess I'll have to try to make one of my own, because they are just beautiful!!! :-)

MoeWest said...

You did a great job on the runner! Thanks for a chance in your giveaway. The pincushions are very cute.

Lyn said...

Love your runner! The pincushions are so nice. Would love to win one.

Ariane said...

I love your table runner!! It's beautifully wicked!!! And you pumpkin pin cushions are amazing too!! Thanks for sharing with us!!!

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Love your blocks. They made a wonderful table runner. Pretty little pumpkins. I'd love to win!

LJ said...

Your table is so versatile with it's Halloween/Fall colors. I, too, love sewing on the binding by hand; snuggling on the couch with a binding and a hubby is a perfect way to spend an evening.

♥Duff said...

I think it turned out friggen awesome too!
**Two snaps!**

Jane's Quilting said...

Your blocks are so pretty. I also love the pin cushions. Do you have a pattern for them? Thanks for sharing.

LuAnn said...

Love those little pumpkin pincushions; your table runner is great!!

sandra said...

Wonderful Halloween stars and your pin cushion is so cute.

maggie said...

I just love your star runner! So festive. Good job
cheers
maggie

Aurea said...

You did a wicked thing in doing something that you hope to make easier. The fabrics are great and the pincushions are a treat. Thanks for sharing and for the give away.

Anonymous said...

I like your runner. Good job, and Happy birthday on the 1st.

Unknown said...

Cute little pumpkins. Your runners are really nice, I would use them as wall hangings, since I have never been into table runners.

Anda W said...

We have the same quilting style, your bloks and colours are fabulous, give yourself a pat on the back! awolk at rogers dot com

Erin said...

Your runner is gorgeous, and I absolutely love your adorable pin cushions!
mummyquilts@gmail.com

Susie Johnson said...

Those pincushions are the cutest ever!

Michele said...

I love the tutorial for that block and have made it many times myself. Nicely done. The pin cushions are the cutest.

Sewgirl said...

Great job with a challenging block. And your pumpkin pin cushions are just adorable!

Sherill said...

You are right, that block is hard! You did good!

Corrie said...

I've never tried that block. It's cool. Nice job!

Maria Kievit said...

Love your runner! Hope you find a spot somewhere for the last little orphan block! Thanks for sharing.

lefuntz said...

Your blocks turned out great. Thanks for the link to the tutorial!

Catherine said...

Your blocks are wonderful! The pattern is great. So glad I stopped by.

Angie said...

LOVE your tablerunner. That block does look perfect in Halloween fabrics. Wickedly fabulous. :) And your pumpkin pincushions are just adorable. :)

Unknown said...

The stars look great, love the table runner you made. :)

Stitches said...

I like your Halloween projects and I love the little pincushions too.

Mrs.Pickles said...

Great work!!! Just love those colours together!

evelyn said...

Lovely table runner made with your stars. Cute little pincushions too.

Emily C said...

Very cute. Love your colors.

Valspierssews said...

Your blocks look fabulous. Very neat. I would love to go in the draw for a pumpkin pincushion.

Pat V. said...

These pumpkins are very cute, would love to win one. Your star flowers turned out great, too.

sew.darn.quilt said...

Your table runner is fabulous, well done! I'd be thrilled to give one of your pumpkin pincushions a home on the Canadian prairies, where I'm freezing my butt off right now!
Thank you for the chance :)

mckinney37397 said...

love your runner in the halloween colors -the pumpkins are awesome
would love to win one-thanks

mary mahoo said...

I love your blocks, and those pincushions are terrific! Thanks for sharing with us.

Julie said...

I love that table runner! I've always wanted to make one of those blocks but never attempted. Thanks for sharing! Those pumpkin pincushions are so cute too!

carla said...

Thank You!!!! I am so excited to have won!!!

Katherine said...

Simply beautiful! You combined a lovely design with gorgeous fabrics to make a winning runner. Love it!

Leah said...

Love your blocks. The colors are perfect for Halloween!

Denise :) said...

Beautiful!! Your fabric choices were splendid! Cute pincushions, too!! :)

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

Beautiful tablerunner, lovely pumkins!