(A little something to write about while I sit here in PMS pain from some evil person's curse!! I wanted to perk my mood up and focus on some of my favorite materialistic things)
Quilting Favorites
This little ruler includes a
½" seam allowance, making it the perfect size template for 3" finished
squares. Useful for cutting and trimming miniatures and checking seam
allowances, it is handy to tuck into any sewing kit or basket.I LOVE this!!! I *hated* doing HST ... with a passion!! And now, this has made my life so much easier. I suggest ANYONE who makes a 12.5 square gets their hands on one of these. Worth EVERY penny I paid for it. SO EASY!!!
OMNIGRID-Tote Fold-Away Portable Cutting and Pressing Station is perfect
for use beside your sewing machine. Small size fits easily in travel
or tote bag. Great for trimming foundation piecing or cutting around
templates. Non-stick pressing surface folds easily in half with a hook
and loop closure. Side-by-side 7" x 10" marked mat and 8.75" x 11.75"
non-stick pressing surface.A lovely present from my aunt some years ago ... I LOVE THIS!! I take it when I go places and I need to do some quilting. The cutting sit is perfect for me ... and then the iron side makes things easy peasy for quilting on the Goooooooooooo.
PRECUT FABRIC
The invention of of Jelly Rolls .... Fat Quarter packs ... Charm Packs and Layer Cakes have made quilting a lot quicker and easier for a lot of people. I found as soon as these babies became a bit cheaper and in a TON of different styles - more people are starting to quilt. I LOVE THEM!!! If you are apprehensive about picking up quilting - a good start would be grab a Charm pack and give it a shot. VERY easy.
Favorite Quilting Advice
- Measure .... MANY MANY times before cutting
- Plan what you're going to make - plan it well
- Take your time - slow down - and listen to the machine - if it's not sewing right - stop - figure it out - then try again - no rushing
- It's OK to remake something - to put it aside and try again - to SEAM RIP .... it's OK!!
- Measure ... Measure again!!
- Check your seam allowances - a 1/4 inch can look a bit different - MEASURE
- And ........ The all important one I hate..........
- IRON!!!! When you've sewn 2 pieces together .......... IRON THEM APART AND FLAT
---> Some of this advice is from trial and error -- some are from a VERY skilled quilter (my aunt) -- and some from very good friends -- All are worth paying attention to and you'll get lovely quilt squares from following them....................
Well ... I've enjoyed my little post .... I'm in a bit less pain .... I'm happier ... And I'm wanting to quilt!!! :)
(Lets see what I pick for my favorites next week!!!)

1 comment :
Great post, Dee!
Post a Comment