Tuesday, October 22, 2013

2013 Wicked Hop! My day!

Hello Everyone!

It's that time a year again ... WICKED HOP! I'm so excited to be part of this hop.
I am totally addicted to the hops!!

I had great plans to make something unique ... something a bit challenging ... but yeah - that didn't happen!!

So, I took my favorite quilt square idea - the strips ... and made some scraps into little mug rugs for the girls at work. Last year, they all got some pin cushions ... so this year I wanted something else. I'm excited to show them off next week.

All I did was take some scraps - so I had the backing fabric (which I don't have *anything* to match - and it's not my style -so perfect for this) ... I took last year's Halloween fabrics ... randomly made them into strips ... (my cutting wasn't too accurate!! So just over 1.5 inches maybe a bit more)

I had some random scraps of batting leftovers (FYI - I have TONS of scraps cause I never make a quilt to size it seems) .... and that was it.

I chose to sew directly with the backing so I could see the quilt lines - then added more quilting ... and to make this EASY ... I sewed about 1/2 inch around the rectangles ... then used the sheers around the edges. VERY easy.

Can you not see these in Christmas fabrics ... then Valentine's fabrics? Oohhh the possibilities! (I tried a misc color scheme - and it worked great!)

THEN! I've been dying to make a spider web like one ... But, I could not figure out the whole cutting on a 60 degree thing - and I tried following some instructions - but I didn't do that very well! So, I think the next time I'm at Walmart - I'll grab their cheapy ruler and go from there - I LOVE the look of it - just well ... yeah!
(hahaha)

Thanks for looking!! Please enjoy the other Blogs in the Hop!!!


October 23rd









A Geeky Crafty Life  --> ME!!! :)




73 comments :

jan said...

I love it. Reminds me of candy corn.
xo jan@sewandsowfarm

Judy B said...

Love your mug rugs, they are sure handy! Thank you for sharing.

Karen said...

I love it. I think your spider web block looks even more modern than the regular web blocks. :)

Amy said...

Very cute spiderweb block!

Sunshine Girl said...

Love the mug rugs - they are such fun and quick to make aren't they. I think the spiderweb looks fab too - thanks for sharing.

Vera said...

Fun project. Thanks for sharing.

Heleen Groot said...

Beautifully wicked! I love them, and so will your co-workers! I like the spider web one too, it is a little wicked, but very cute too!

leanne said...

the spiderweb is great and cute mug rugs !

Britt-Inger said...

Your spider web block looks awesome to me. Thanks for sharing and being part of this hop

Teatime Creations said...

I love that you are using scraps from last year. Wicked spiderweb. I want to stitch one of those some day.

jjthor said...

Really like your mug rugs!! Happy Halloween!!

Thearica said...

My aunt loved making the spiderweb blocks.. I bet she made 20+ quilts during her quilting career from that one pattern.

Jeanie said...

Great mug rugs....your co-workers will love them!

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

I think your spider web is great! I could never do something so mathematical lol.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Very clever - I love your creativity and your spider web! blessings, marlene

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Very nice projects

Sparky said...

ohhh wicked web you spun and stitched...boo!

Leah said...

I love spider blocks and yours is fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

The Slow Quilter said...

I think spider webs are the theam of the hop, and I just love yours.

Linda said...

Your little spider web is so pretty! Very nice!

Gill said...

I love your mug rugs!

Debby said...

Very cute projects. You are right - go get a 60 degree triangle ruler. It will make your life so much easier! Thanks for sharing today.

Debby said...

Very cute projects. You are right - go get a 60 degree triangle ruler. It will make your life so much easier! Thanks for sharing today.

niniandthesea said...

I love cutting strips and sewing them! Can't help myself…great idea for mug rugs!

Nini~

Margaret said...

I really like your mug rugs Thanks for sharing

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Great mug rugs. Sweet fabric. Thanks for sharing.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Great spider web quilt.

Brandy said...

You're spider web didn't turn out so bad! I'd throw some swoopy quilting between the web lines to distract people's eyes even more, but I love how the colors look. And your co-workers are lucky gals to get homemade gifts, I hope they appreciate the value of them! Thank you for sharing your projects!

Jane's Quilting said...

Those are adorable and yes, I can see them made for other holidays.

Debbie said...

So neT so times our second choice is best

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a cute little spider web block!

Mara said...

The spider web one looks like great fun, good job.

Mrs.Pickles said...

great project!! love it!

Nadine said...

I think your spider web quilt looks great! Like the mug rugs too. :-)

Stitches said...

I know the girls will love their little gifts..

Createology said...

Wicked Fun Hop and thank you for sharing. Your projects are BOO-tiful...

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

These are too cute. I love string blocks too and I think your 60 degree triangles look great!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Quilting Tangent said...

Happy Halloween!

Rina Mason said...

The great thing about hops is getting introduced to new blogs and seeing their creativity. These are so cute that I just may haul out the Halloween fabric and make some later today. I'm now a follower.

Sandy said...

Your projects are so cute. Don't put yourself down for your spiderweb block...I think it is cool! Thanks for sharing with us.

charlotte said...

Great idea! Looks really good.

Unknown said...

I really like the Web, and the mug rugs, great job

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Oh what a wicked web you weave!

Heidi [Banks of Frog Creek] said...

Fun gifty projects! Thanks for sharing!

Angie said...

these are just so wickedly cute... :)

Debi said...

Great projects. I would love to make a spider web quilt someday and thought about it for the hop as well. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Debi said...

Love all of your projects. Wonderful spider web and congrats! Thanks for sharing.

tink's mom said...

How nice to make gifts for your coworkers. I'd be thrilled to get something this cute from a pal at work.

LJ said...

The patchowork spider web is wonderful.

Christa Hitchcock said...

Love the mug rugs. They come in so handy. Your co-workers are lucky. And the spider web turned out great, too.

Kristen King said...

Your mug rugs are great...and yes I can see them for every holiday! :)

Calicojoan said...

I love the spiderweb look. They are so fun to piece too!

Kathleen said...

I like the mug rug spider web....great job....

sandra said...

Nice try I love it I could never figure out instructions on how to cut without proper ruler.lol

Marcy said...

You can't beat strip quilting for stashbusting. Great projects.

MalinisQuilts said...

Great projects! Love the quilting and shears was superb idea.

Totally agree, spider web quilt would look great in any fabric choices.

You could use the Creative grid's spider web ruler which is narrower than a 60 degree ruler. I also have a free pattern which doesn't use any specially ruler for spider web quilt. Check that out too.

Audrey said...

Lucky ladies at work. They are going to love their Halloween rug mugs. Thanks for sharing.

Quilt n Queen said...

Spooktacular mug rugs...lucky coworkers!! Your spider web block is great. Thanks for sharing. Happy Haunting, Pauline

DeAnna said...

Great web mug rug. You did a wonderful job.

Robin said...

Your mug rugs are great. I'm sure they will be a hit. I love your web! It almost has a 3D effect. Great job!!

Vickie said...

Super cute wicked projects Fignie !

gpc said...

Very nice!

Linda C said...

The strings are cute but the spider web is my favorite. Looks good!

Michele said...

Of course the spider web would be great.

Janarama said...

Cute spider web mug rug.

Jeanne Gwin said...

What fun, thanks for sharing.

Carla said...

I bet the girls loved the mug rugs. Your web is a great addition. I love to "strip" too. Great fun.

Carol Swift said...

I love the spider web pattern and it looks just wickedly perfect to me! :O)

M-R Charbonneau said...

I'm sure your colleagues will love those mug rugs - -great idea!

Wendy said...

I think you did a great job on them. This is such a fun hop.

Suze said...

I can only imagine the thrill of the girls at work with their wonderful mug rugs. Your spider web rocks. You can spend your money on a less expensive ruler at Walmart, if you want, and personally I don't think you need it. Your projects are amazing. Thanks for participating and being a great inspiration.

Shannon said...

Your mug rugs are great! Yes I can see them for all of the holidays. Your spider web one turned out great.

Brandy said...

Sorry if my email didn't show up on my first comment, here's another happy thought for you!
brandizzle7133 at gmail.com