As kids....we loved and hated this time of year. The hours spent at church were crazy making. The 40 days of lent....that never really worked...the hours again of church....the longest mass is over Easter....longest....standing....ever....
But. What I remember most.....the amazing music....the excuse for a prettier outfit at church.....the extra people around. Normally someone would be baptized...and confirmation would be paired up. It was filled with so much happiness!!!
THEN!!! After all at....we had crepes waiting for us at home....AND dad!!! We would sit through the best breaky ever....then handed each our own map....dad would hide candy and treats in the house and give us hints....I swore he put a mystery one in house to throw us off. We even left stuff behind cause he'd forget where it was.
Then....ham...scalloped potatoes....:)
I'm thinning ahead a few years....and hoping this tradition gets passed down to my new little niece or nephew....I get a bit teary thinking of this. I'm going to try and keep this going. :)
So Happy Easter people out there. We have this amazing weekend thanks to God...thanks to traditions that are pretty friggen old. I remember that...I acknowledge that. I might not be a practicing religious person theses days....but I know why. This is not a hallmark day for me....there are no bunnys in this house today....no chocolates....no eggs...just my memories of this day.
Please enjoy this day....enjoy your faith....your family...your children and friends. I will enjoy a day with Hubs and Gully....my heating pad....and the couch. :)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:My couch!!
1 comment :
Happy Easter, Dee! & George! When I was small we always got a new easter outfit. A frilly dress, hat & gloves for us girls. My brother got a suit with short pants. My mom would take us to church, and when we got home my dad would have the pancakes ready. Shapped like bunnies, of course. And coloured eggs and chocolate hidden all over the house. Sometimes we'd still be finding them months later. Some dust ball covered foil wrapped egg behind the couch. Lol!
Post a Comment